Engineering Open House empowers STEM community this weekend

Sydney Laput

Student gather on Bardeen Quad for the 2022 Engineering Open House. On Friday and Saturday, the event will return for 2023.

By Layli Nazarova, Assistant News Editor

The Grainger Engineering Open House, the nation’s biggest student-run STEM fair, will be held this Friday, March 31, and Saturday, April 1, on the Engineering Quad. 

This year, EOH is expecting around 30,000 to 45,000 visitors, a prediction exceeding its own previous record. 

“This is the nation’s largest student-run STEM fair, there really is no other university, institution or governing body that pulled off an event of this scale,” said Riccelo Guidorizzi, EOH co-director.

This event has over a century’s worth of legacy, having raised several generations of STEM major students. 

“What’s really special about EOH is that it’s been going on for 102 years, and it’s one of Grainger’s largest marketing tactics,” Guidorizzi said. “There are kids that grow up attending EOH, and then become engineers simply because EOH inspired them when they were younger.”

Although the word “engineering” is in the title, the main goal of the event is to display the possibilities of the future, therefore drawing interest from more than just STEM major students.

“Even if students aren’t interested in pursuing STEM in their careers, it’s still very cool to learn about STEM,” said Elizabeth Farah, EOH Middle School Design Competition director. “STEM is the science behind how many things work that we each use every day.”

Over 200 unique student-run exhibits will be displayed, including — but not limited to — robots, rockets and drones. 

“We have 204 student-run exhibits; these are exhibits that mainly Granger engineering students have created,” Guidorizzi said. “Those vary from robots to chemistry, drones, rockets, computer science and more.”

EOH will also host a pitch competition where STEM major students will present their startup companies. 

The team has prepared many other activities as well, including a Lego Building Lab, simulation lab, physics-themed escape room and very well-renowned bot contest. 

“We have the Midwest’s largest BattleBots competition called the Robobrawl,” Guidorizzi said. “So, if people want to see bots kill each other, come down to EOH.”

In addition to the previous attractions, the event will have food trucks, face painters and even more entertainment. On Friday at 8 p.m., EOH will show their annual Tesla Coil Concert.

“It’s kind of like a little carnival in a way,” Guidorizzi said. “And it’s a great way to see what the future has to hold.”

Stay tuned for more updates and find more information on the EOH website.