[UPDATE] Man arrested after altercation at Green Street McDonald’s

By Jessie Wang and Diamond Steward-Hutton

A homeless man was arrested Tuesday on the 600 block of Green Street after an altercation with McDonald’s staff members. 

According to Shaniya Jackson, a McDonald’s employee, the homeless man became very aggressive, particularly to female employees, when they were taking his order. 

“He (kept) putting his debit card into our faces,” Jackson said. 

The man began to throw money while saying vulgar things to the employees.

“The (other employees) that were working with us were trying to defend us and argued back and forth with him,” Jackson said. “He would not leave the building.”

After the man tried to grab Jackson, he became involved in a physical altercation with two other employees after they tried to intervene. 

“It was three people fighting behind the counter … I’ve never experienced something like that working here,” Jackson said. 

Police arrived on scene and arrested the offender shortly after. 

Jackson noted that it’s “very common to have homeless people around here, but most of them are very nice, (the offender) was very irate from the start.”  

UPDATE:

In a statement released on April 23 from the University of Illinois Division of Public Safety, the offender was identified as Samuel Megbolugbe, 23 of Champaign. Megbolugbe was arrested for aggravated battery, aggravated assault and disorderly conduct on Tuesday. 

It was reported that Megbolugbe had walked behind the counter and verbally threatened or struck several restaurant employees after a disagreement over an order. No serious injuries were reported,” the statement said.