Black Illini Fest unites Black community with fun, games before finals

On Sunday, the Central Black Student Union hosted the Black Illini Fest event at the SDRP and the ARC from noon to 6 p.m., bringing together Black entrepreneurs, students and RSOs.

The event consisted of a pop-up shop where Black businesses showcased their products and services, a basketball tournament hosted by the Men of Impact RSO and a field day. 

Sidney Allen, senior in ACES and president of the CBSU, said the CBSU serves as the umbrella organization for all the Black Student Unions on campus and aims to unite the Black community on campus.

“CBSU essentially brings all (BSUs) together and creates a safe space for Black students,” Allen said. “(We) try to create a space where students feel like they can come together and meet their peers and get more involved on campus.”

Trinity Nelson, sophomore in LAS and traditional programming chair of the CBSU, said the Black Illini Fest hopes to provide students fun and community before finals. 

“We just wanted to give them a place where they can relax and feel at ease before starting their finals and studying,” Nelson said. 

Hosting events such as the Black Illini Fest is important for Black students because the University is a predominantly white institution, said Malika Samson, vice president of CBSU. 

“It (allows us) to enjoy each other’s presence without any conflict or drama,” Samson said. 

Keiasia Morris, senior in Business, said she attended the event to support her peers in the Black community while they build their brands. 

“I’m here to support Black entrepreneurs; I feel like they need a lot of help,” Morris said.