UI student found dead, UIPD to investigate further

Jacob Slabosz

A University student, whose name is currently unreleased to the public, was found dead Saturday morning behind a University building. The 18-year-old was missing for about an hour before his roommate made a report to the police.

According to a press release, the student’s roommate called the police at 1:23 a.m. on Saturday morning. University police then searched multiple locations, including local hospitals, the student’s residence hall and where he was last seen, as well as paths in between. Police also called the student’s phone but found nothing in their search.

UIPD dispatched again at 11:08 a.m. on Saturday when a University employee found the man on the back porch of a building. Emergency medical services also arrived at the scene, but the report stated that the student was found dead upon arrival, the press release said. 

UIPD notified the student’s family about the incident, which, according to the current investigation, appears to be an accident. 

“Preliminary information suggests that there was no foul play involved, and the death is initially believed to be accidental,” the press release noted. “The investigation is ongoing, and the status may change as new information is collected.”

The report ended, encouraging anyone with information to contact UIPD at 217-333-1216. Anonymous options include contacting Champaign County Crime Stoppers at 217-373-TIPS. 

UPDATE: Jan. 22 at 3:28 p.m.

The police identified the body as Akul Dhawan, freshman in Engineering. The autopsy report is scheduled for Monday, and updates will be posted here.

UPDATE: Jan. 22 at 4:19 p.m.

The autopsy report has been postponed to Tuesday afternoon because of inclement weather, per the Champaign County Coroner.

UPDATE: Jan. 23 at 8:06 p.m.

Preliminary findings of the autopsy showed no display of significant trauma but did report evidence of hypothermic skin changes, according to a statement from Champaign County Coroner Stephen Thuney.