Sexual assault reported at fraternity house

The University of Illinois Police Department sent out a campus safety notice on Tuesday in response to a sexual assault that occurred on Saturday. The notice was released in accordance with the Clery Act, which requires universities to disclose information about specific crimes, including sexual violence.

The notice outlined the sexual assault and stated that specific details would not be released to protect the identity of the survivor.

“On Sunday, the University Police received a report that a sexual assault had occurred at approximately 1 a.m. Saturday, February 17, at a fraternity house,” the report read. “The offender is not a person known to the victim, other than having met for the first time earlier that night.”

According to UIPD, the purpose of this email was to heighten awareness about sexual assault and to help prevent future crimes from occurring. The notice included resources for assisting sexual assault victims from We Care, McKinley Health Center, Women’s Resource Center and more.

“For more information on reporting sexual violence or misconduct and how to support survivors, please visit wecare.illinois.edu,” the report stated.