UI advises COVID-19 precautions for Halloween, fall break

Students+of+the+University+of+Illinois+take+a+rapid+COVID-19+test+at+the+ARC+on+Feb+1.+With+an+increase+of+people+showing+up+this+Halloween+weekend%2C+it+is+highly+advised+to+get+tested+after+the+weekend+and+to+follow+COVID-19+precautions.+

Cameron Krasucki

Students of the University of Illinois take a rapid COVID-19 test at the ARC on Feb 1. With an increase of people showing up this Halloween weekend, it is highly advised to get tested after the weekend and to follow COVID-19 precautions.

By Ashley Gilbert, Staff Writer

The University sent out a Massmail and a COVID-19 update email on Thursday addressing COVID-19 precautions over Halloween weekend and the upcoming fall break. 

According to the Massmail, there has been an increase in cases of unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals. 

The University reported 10 positive cases on Tuesday and 15 this Wednesday, while there were only 17 cases in the previous week, according to the University’s COVID-19 dashboard

Chancellor Robert Jones reminded students to continue taking COVID-19 precautions and that the University has resources to maximize the safety of the campus.

“I would like to remind you that we have one of the safest COVID-19 ecosystems in the country that you can use to maximize your safety and the safety of others in our community,” Jones said.

Jones also recommended that students should get tested a few times within the next several days regardless of vaccination status. He also advises students to wear masks indoors and to test if traveling. 

In the COVID-19 update regarding the fall break, the University recommends that students receive the COVID-19 booster as soon as they are eligible. 

Students are also encouraged to get tested before and after fall break if they have plans to travel.

“If you are not yet fully vaccinated, you will be required to take an on-campus COVID-19 test on Saturday, Nov. 27 or Sunday, Nov. 28 in order to have building access on Monday, Nov. 29,” the update said.

Finally the University is still pushing flu shots and is encouraging that every student get one as soon as possible. There are free flu shots that are available at McKinley Health Center. 

As of Thursday, 95% of undergraduates are fully vaccinated, 96% of graduate students are fully vaccinated and 88% of staff and faculty are fully vaccinated.