UI transitions COVID-19 building access to Illinois app

By Weiyu Ding, Staff Writer

Chancellor Robert J. Jones announced last Thursday that the University is moving its COVID-19 building access status to the Illinois app and is planning to phase out the Safer Illinois app. 

“This operational shift is intended to keep the most-used feature of the Safer Illinois app while making it easier for students (using one app instead of several) and more efficient for university operations,” Jones said in a Massmail.

Students can already check their building access on the Illinois app, and they can find more details on the Illinois app website, according to the Massmail.

Jones encouraged students to download the app from the Apple App Store for the iOS system or from Google Play for Android users before the spring semester. 

In addition to displaying the building access, the Illinois app has other functions, such as events and campus guides.

The Safer Illinois app will continue to function, and the University will notify the campus community before they “move away from it sometime during the spring semester.” 

“The COVID-19 boarding pass will continue to be an alternate way faculty, staff and students can display their building access status,” Jones said, in the Massmail.