Einstein Bros. Bagels to close all UI campus locations

Candice Zhou

Einstein Bros. Bagel selection at the Illini Union on April 12. Einstein Bros. Bagels will be leaving campus this month on April 28.

By Ella Narag, News Editor

Effective April 28, all Einstein Bros. Bagels campus locations will be closed. These locations include the Illini Union, the Armory, the Siebel Center for Computer Science, the College of Veterinary Medicine’s Basic Sciences Building and Willard Airport.

The decision came after a 10-year partnership with BOAST, LLC. According to the statement from the Illini Union, “This difficult decision arose as a result of the new economic realities coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The statement closed with a quote from Becki Salzman, the director of the Union, wishing the company well in its future endeavors and attributing its support to the University of Illinois community.

According to Sara Kelly, the director for operations on campus and worker at the Illini Union Einstein Bros. Bagels location, they are “really sad that these locations are closing.”

She mentioned that the other franchise locations in the C-U area will remain open, and that she does not know what will be done with the current spaces the locations are at.

Einstein Bros. Bagels is one of the four main restaurants in the Union, and one of five campus cafes. Open and busiest during the morning hours, the cafe will be missed tremendously by students and the University community. 

Jack Casey, freshman in Engineering, will miss their breakfast sandwiches the most.

“Though I only went every once in a while, I’m gonna miss just having it available to me and the opportunity to go,” Casey said. 

Other students are less reminiscent of the lost opportunity and have a more wistful outlook on the decision. 

“I think it’s kind of bogus, because a lot of people eat there … and I don’t know what they’re gonna replace it with,” said Catherine La, sophomore in LAS. 

La went on to say that Einstein Bros. Bagels offered healthy options for both breakfast and lunch, and that she is sad to see them go. 

Katharine Klugman, sophomore in LAS, also felt strongly about this decision. Having moved from New York to Illinois, bagel traditions and culture are held near and dear to her.  

“I think it’s rude,” Klugman said. “Now where am I gonna get a bagel? Nowhere, I guess.”