UI hosts Illini Career and Internship Fair open to all majors

Annie Yang
Students browse the LAS & ACES Career fair, held on Sept. 20 at the Illini Union.

The University hosted the 2024 Illini Career and Internship Fair at the Illini Union, open to all majors, on Wednesday. Students were invited to get in contact with various companies and employers. 

Employers were given the opportunity to talk about their companies with students from all fields of study. Students were able to sign up for email lists, hand employers their resumes and make connections with prospective employers.

“I stopped by a bunch of health care booths and other promotional things,” said Madison Phillips, senior in AHS. “It’s a great opportunity that catches your eye and that looks good on any resume.”

In particular, employers were looking for students who needed internships, part-time jobs or careers. 

“It’s been really good,” said Kelsey Capel, a clinical supervisor at Nexus-Onarga Family Healing. “I wanted to come to campus to give people the opportunity to experience Nexus and hear about what we are.”

A wide range of opportunities was offered — whether it was from big companies like Target attending the fair, health care companies like OSF HealthCare or nonprofit organizations looking to help the community. 

“There aren’t too many educators, but that’s to be expected with the shortage,” said Theresa Smith, the director of specialized services at Dalton School District 149. “We’re looking for educators, social workers, psychologists, parent educators (and) physical education teachers. These career fairs will have all majors.”

Students also said the fair was useful and a great opportunity to make connections. Many were dressed in formal or business attire, wanting to make a good first impression on their future employers.

“I would say as soon as you can get in, get in,” Philips said. “Get your foot in the door with a company. It’s a great opportunity. You can start from the bottom and work your way up from there.”