Spring break springs forward, students react to change in clocks

By Ella Narag, News Editor

As spring break commenced, it was marked by the addition of an hour in most places throughout the country. Students shared their disdain for the dreaded reintroduction known as daylight saving time.  

“Spring forward” ended standard time for the majority of the United States and reintroduced daylight saving time on Sunday at 2:00 a.m. Standard time had been utilized since Nov. 6, 2022.

While students have mixed feelings about this, most agree on its inconvenience and hassle. 

“Not only is it annoying, but studies have shown that there is a significantly higher rate of heart attacks and strokes on daylight savings day because the shock to the circadian rhythm is a lot of stress on older people,” said Gabriel Graham, sophomore in LAS.

Graham further noted that he does not do anything to prepare for daylight saving time to return. 

Similarly, Teresa Gutierrez, freshman in ACES, said, “I honestly don’t think much of it, but it is a bit annoying to lose an hour of sleep in the spring.”

Gutierrez also said that though it is inconvenient and troublesome, she also understands why people have valid concerns about making DST permanent. 

The purpose of daylight saving time is to create unified time zones for coordination of things like mass transit and a work schedule. There have been moves in Congress that would make DST permanent, including the Sunshine Protection Act that was introduced by Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida in 2021. 

But because nothing has yet been passed, students will continue to adjust their clocks twice a year for the foreseeable future. 

“Daylight savings time is a stupid antiquated tradition that has no place or benefit in modern times and does more harm than good,” Graham said.