Teen responsible for December Illini Union Bookstore robbery is sentenced

The+Illini+Union+Bookstore%2C+the+official+bookstore+of+the+University%2C+houses+a+variety+of+products+from+clothing%2C+memorabilia%2C+textbooks+and+more.+The+individual+responsible+for++the+robbery+by+the+bookstore+in+December+is+charged+with+21+years+in+prison.+

Sydney Laput

The Illini Union Bookstore, the official bookstore of the University, houses a variety of products from clothing, memorabilia, textbooks and more. The individual responsible for the robbery by the bookstore in December is charged with 21 years in prison.

By Faith Allendorf, Interim Summer Editor in Chief

A 16-year-old Champaign resident who robbed an 18-year-old University student at gunpoint in front of the Illini Union Bookstore on Dec. 13 was charged with armed robbery and sentenced to 21 years in prison on Tuesday. However, due to a unique court situation, Corey Robinson might not need to serve the entirety of his sentence.

Robinson was prosecuted under a blended sentencing procedure called Extended Jurisdiction Juvenile Prosecution. According to the procedure, a minors hearing is presented in front of a juvenile-based court.

If convicted, the minor would then receive both an adult and a juvenile sentence, but adult sentence is stayed. If the minor complies with their juvenile sentence, they will not face the adult charge. Conversely, if they do not comply with the juvenile sentence, the court may enact the adult sentence or alter the juvenile sentence as a result.

In Robinson’s case, he will be in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice until authorities there decide when to release him on parole. If he follows the conditions of his parole and does not commit another crime during that period, his adult sentence of 21 years may be lifted.

Around 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 13 near Sixth and Daniel streets, Robinson approached the University student from behind after spotting her from his car and demanded she gave him her phone and wallet. The victim complied, but could not give her wallet because she did not have it on her. Robinson threatened to shoot her.

The student frightened him by yelling, and Robinson got back into his car, which was driven by an 18-year-old. There were also two other minors in the backseat. The names of the other three involved have not been released and there is no word on if they were charged.

University police detained Robinson, and the victim identified him out of the four in the vehicle as the robber.

This was Robinson’s first conviction.