UI student assaulted, robbed near Wright, Springfield streets

The+suspect+rides+a+bike+near+Wright+Street+on+Monday.+

Photo courtesy of University of Illinois Police Department

The suspect rides a bike near Wright Street on Monday.

By Willie Cui, News Editor

A University student was robbed at around 9:58 a.m. on Monday near the intersection of Wright and Springfield streets — near the University of Illinois Police Department’s Public Safety Building, located at 1110 W. Springfield Ave. in Urbana.

According to an announcement by UIPD, the student was walking on the sidewalk when someone on a bicycle approached and allegedly punched the student and took his cellphone.

“The offender rode north on Wright Street after the encounter,” the announcement said. “The student did not require medical intervention.”

After canvassing the area, police found surveillance footage of the suspected offender, which showed him in an orange “Illinois” hoodie riding a bicycle and looking at a cellphone.

In the announcement, UIPD said  the University campus “is one of the most highly patrolled areas in the region,” with UIPD and the police departments of Champaign and Urbana patrolling the area. 

“More than 2,300 security cameras are posted around campus to deter crime and identify offenders,” the announcement said.

UIPD is asking for anyone with information about the incident to contact them at 217-333-1216.