CUPHD expands eligibility for COVID-19 booster shot

A health care worker handles a Moderna COVID-19 vaccine in Feb. 2021.

By Willie Cui, News Editor

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District is expanding eligibility for the bivalent COVID-19 booster shot to the general public, according to a CUPHD press release.

Starting Wednesday Sept. 14, Champaign County residents aged 12 and older will be able to receive the updated booster shot if they are fully vaccinated and if it has been at least two months since their last COVID-19 vaccination or booster shot.

On Sept. 1, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention endorsed the use of updated COVID-19 boosters made by Pfizer for individuals aged 12 and older. They also endorsed the use of Moderna’s updated booster shot for those 18 years old or older.

“The updated COVID-19 boosters add Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 spike protein components to the current vaccine composition, helping to restore protection that has waned since previous vaccination by targeting variants that are more transmissible and immune evading,” the press release said.

CUPHD initially restricted eligibility for the updated boosters to Champaign County residents aged 50 or older, citing limited availability.

Eligible individuals can receive the updated COVID-19 booster shot by signing up online for a vaccination clinic hosted by CUPHD or through Carle Health or OSF.