RSO treasurer accused of stealing over $10,000 from club bank account

By Aidan Sadovi and Fiza Dahra

A University student and former treasurer for the Illinois Trial Team RSO was charged with Class 2 felony theft on Oct. 6 for allegedly stealing around $10,000 from the organization between June and July.

Nubaira Kabir, senior in LAS, allegedly made 17 unauthorized transactions from the club’s private bank account amounting to $10,487 from June 8 to July 6, according to Champaign Police Department Lt. Andre Davis.

“On Aug. 25, 2022, a Champaign police officer was assigned to investigate the claims in an online police report submission that alleged a theft valued at more than $500,” Davis said. 

The theft was discovered when the RSO’s president was alerted that the club’s bank account was charged overdraft fees, Davis said. 

Alejandro Suñé, senior associate director for Student Engagement who oversees the University’s Student Org Finance Center, said he does not have any further knowledge of the incident beyond basic details. 

Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge of this incident beyond what you’ve shared,” Suñé said in an email.

According to court records, Kabir was released on recognizance, and her next court date is scheduled for Nov. 8. 

The Illinois Trial Team could not be reached for comment.