COVID-19 to end as public health emergency beginning mid-May

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District stated that the COVID-19 public health emergency will officially end on May 11. 

Since the onset of the pandemic, “Illinois residents could collect additional SNAP benefits, more than 1.4 million children received pandemic EBT (nutrition) support and Medicaid benefits expanded,” the statement said. 

Private insurance companies will no longer be required to cover COVID-19 tests without cost changing. Most waivers created during the pandemic allowing for flexibility in service provision and billing will also end.

According to a COVID-19 update email from Chancellor Robert Jones, both the Wellness Answer Center and [email protected] inbox will be closing at the end of this semester. 

SHIELD Illinois will continue to operate at CRCE until May 26. Free take-home antigen tests will still be available on campus for those who wish to test.

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District advised residents to stay updated with COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters as well as stay home when sick to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Kevin Murphy, sophomore in LAS, believes that COVID-19 remains a key issue because they still know people affected by the pandemic.

“One of my roommates just got it and it is still impacting things and the University isn’t really doing much to make sure (people are safe) when it’s coming up to finals week,” Murphy said. “It’s still impacting a ton of people and having negative impacts.” 

Nina Stepaniants, sophomore in LAS, is disappointed by the state of Illinois decision to end COVID-19 benefits since she believes it dismisses people who are vulnerable to the disease.  

“This is definitely a very isolating time for people who are immunocompromised,” Stepaniants said.