Champaign Public Library Board of Trustees discusses Studio opening, upcoming events

The Champaign Public Library Board of Trustees met on Wednesday to discuss the opening of the Studio and upcoming events. 

The meeting began with the director’s report about the Studio, a new 8,000-foot space in the basement of the library. 

The Studio will host a weekend open house on Oct. 7 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Oct. 8 from noon to 6 p.m. Open weekends for the Studio begin on Oct. 14. 

The Studio has a variety of tools and software, such as a laser cutter and large-scale printer. “We also have a gaming area and some high-tech sewing machines,” said Tricia Duzan, deputy director of the Champaign Public Library. 

Duzan said the flexibility of the space could potentially provide many uses for the community. 

“I think that’s going to be a really nice way for people to get involved and learn new skills, maybe … they want to start their own business,” Duzan said. 

The director’s report also included updates about the Douglass Branch Library and the visit of several authors in the month of October. 

In 2020, the Champaign Public Library was ranked in the top 4.67% of public libraries nationwide. Duzan emphasized the role of the library staff and the community in contributing to the ranking. 

“Our staff does a really wonderful job understanding what (the community’s) needs are and trying to service that,” Duzan said. “Our community is just huge supporters of the library in every single way.”