UI releases annual police report, highlights trends in crime

The University released its annual Security and Fire Safety Report in accordance with the Campus Security Policy, Crime Statistics Act and the State of Illinois Campus Security Enhancement Act. 

The report contains reported crime statistics from the previous three years on campus, certain noncampus buildings and property owned or controlled by the University, and public property within or immediately adjacent from the campus. 

“These are the crimes that have been reported to the University Police Department by victims who have filed a report, by Campus Security Authorities who have been made aware of a criminal incident, or by other law enforcement agencies,” the report said. 

The last three years had no reports of manslaughter or murder. Reports of rape and fondling have gone up since 2022. Reports of aggravated assault and burglary have gone down since 2021. Motor vehicle theft has gone up drastically in 2022. 

The statistics for arrest and disciplinary action reveal that in 2022, only six arrests were made for liquor law-related reasons. Drug law arrests have risen within the past three years. In 2022, there were 349 liquor law violations referred for disciplinary action on campus property and five on public property. 

Statistics in accordance with the Violence Against Women Act reveal that there were 34 reports of domestic violence in 2022. The average for the last three years is approximately 29. Stalking reports have gone up in the last three years. 

In 2022, there were hate crimes reported for a bias of race, a religious bias, a gender identity bias and a national origin bias. In 2021 there was one crime report for simple assault with a bias of race and an aggravated assault with a bias of race on public property. 

Some crimes were reported without information on where they took place. “It is not uncommon for a crime to be reported without information about a location,” the report said.

“The University Police Department makes its best effort to share all relevant information about a crime with the campus community, but some information may not always be available,” the report said.

In 2022 there were five fire reports, which is the lowest number in the last three years. 

“Information about these crimes has been shared in the interest of transparency and so campus community members have the information they need to be responsible for their safety and the safety of others,” the report said.