Employee stabbed at Circle K on Green Street, police continue search for suspect

On Thursday at 4:12 a.m., an Illini-Alert was sent out to the campus community warning them of a subject armed with a sharp object at the intersection of First and Green streets. 

According to a press release from the University of Illinois Police Department, the Illini-Alert was issued after a stabbing occurred early that morning on Green Street. A store employee at Circle K, located at 51 E. Green St. in Champaign, received at least two strikes with an unknown sharp object from the offender.

The press release said the stab wounds were “non-life-threatening” and were caused by a dispute between the store employee and a customer who refused to pay for alcohol. 

After the altercation, the customer ran from the scene. Police were called to the scene at 3:53 a.m. and the employee was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

The suspect has yet to be apprehended. Information can be sent to UIPD at 217-333-1216.

Alternatively, information can be given anonymously through the Champaign County Crime Stoppers TIPS system at 217-373-8477, through the 373tips.com website or with the P3 Tips app, available on Android and iOS.