CU locations host affordable flu shot clinics

Banner+Free+Fku+Shots+Here+hangs+at+McKinley+Health+Center.+
Jordan Montgomery
Banner “Free Fku Shots Here” hangs at McKinley Health Center.

As Champaign-Urbana braces for the upcoming flu season, several locations around C-U are offering flu shots for members of the community. 

Influenza, commonly referred to as the flu, is a respiratory illness typically marked by a mild fever, coughing, a sore throat and muscle aches. Flu season is the yearly increase in activity of the influenza virus, which can start as early as October. 

“I’ve had a sore throat recently,” said Vihang Thakkar, sophomore in Business. “I wouldn’t say I’m really sick, but definitely under the weather.”

Thakkar noted that he is not alone in feeling unwell, as several of his friends are also currently sick. 

According to the CDC, “in the United States, flu season usually occurs in the fall and winter. While influenza viruses spread year-round, most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February.”

Influenza is typically prevented with a vaccine, which the CDC recommends individuals get on an annual basis. This vaccine protects against flu illnesses by creating antibodies in the weeks following vaccination. 

While vaccinated people can still get the flu, studies show that vaccination reduces the severity of symptoms. Across campus and the community, free or affordable flu shots are being offered at the following locations:  

McKinley Health Center

The McKinley Health Center is offering free flu vaccinations for students, state employees and retirees. It has walk-in hours Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For more information on hours and eligibility, individuals can visit the McKinley website.

The health center also holds pop-up vaccine clinics, which are posted on its website. These locations are spread throughout campus. 

Walgreens and CVS

Walgreens and CVS both offer free flu vaccinations with most insurance plans and administer vaccines by appointment or during walk-in hours. According to the Walgreens website, “the CDC recommends that people get the flu shot before the flu is widespread by late fall.”

Costco

Costco also offers flu vaccinations by appointment or during walk-in hours. Costco accepts most insurance plans, or individuals can purchase a vaccine for a fee with a Costco membership card. For more information on hours and eligibility, individuals should consult the Costco website.