CUPHD installs solar panels in Champaign office

Courtesy of CUPHD
The roof of the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District office, located at 201 W. Kenyon Road in Champaign.

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District has completed its installation of “state-of-the-art photovoltaic panels” on the roof of its office, according to a statement released Wednesday morning.

According to CUPHD, the panels have resulted from a partnership between CUPHD and StraightUP Solar, a solar installation company operating throughout Illinois and Missouri.

“StraightUp Solar is grateful for the opportunity to partner with the District on their solar journey and commends their proactive approach to stabilizing their budget by controlling their energy costs,” said Shannon Fulton, vice president of development at StraightUP Solar.

According to the statement, this move from CUPHD reflects a commitment to reducing the department’s carbon footprint. The panels are projected to produce 412,800 kilowatt-hours of energy in their first year of operation.

“This is a momentous occasion for our health department and the entire community,” said Public Health Administrator Julie Pryde. “By embracing solar energy, we’re not only reducing our environmental impact but also setting a precedent for sustainable practices in public health institutions.”

As estimated by CUPHD, over half of the panels’ cost was offset by financial incentives provided to the department, and the move is expected to account for 60% of their overall grid energy usage.

“Through its commitment to solar energy, CUPHD reaffirms its position as a responsible steward of both the environment and its stakeholders, embodying a vision of a brighter, greener future for all,” the release stated.