Shooting, battery incident on 900 block of Bloomington Road, 2 injured

By Lisa Chasanov, Staff Writer

Champaign police are investigating a shooting that took place at a business in the 900 block of Bloomington Road early Saturday morning. 

According to a statement from the City 0f Champaign, police were alerted to “disorderly subjects” at 3 a.m. and arrived to find a “battery in-progress.” 

The incident was described by the statement as a physical fight that included battery using a baseball bat.

“The fight quickly escalated to the discharge of a firearm,” the statement said.

Police reportedly identified two victims — a 36-year-old woman who suffered a head injury and a 40-year-old woman who sustained a “non-life-threatening gunshot wound.” Both were transported to an area hospital.

“An initial investigation indicates that an impromptu gathering had started in the parking lot minutes before the incident,” the statement said. 

According to the statement, the 40-year-old victim — an employee of the business where the incident occurred— reportedly denied several people entry into the business before the fight began in the parking lot.

“No arrests have been made at this time and the investigation is ongoing,” the statement said. 

Champaign police encourage anyone who may have additional information regarding the incident to report to Crime Stoppers. CPD is offering a cash reward for tips that lead to an arrest.