Three arrested for August 22 robbery

One adult and two juveniles were arrested by police Friday night for a robbery that occurred on Tuesday, Aug. 22. 

According to a statement from the University of Illinois Police Department on Aug. 23, a man reported that he was struck from behind by a tree branch and had his backpack taken on the evening of Aug. 22. 

The victim was not a University student and was familiar with one of the offenders. He noted that three men were present at the scene. 

“The offenders ran south and left the area on a MTD bus,” the statement said. “The incident was reported to police approximately 30 minutes after the incident. “

According to a press release from UIPD on Aug. 26, police spoke with the three alleged offenders on Friday.

During the interview, the alleged offenders admitted to their involvement with Tuesday’s altercation, stating that they were familiar with the victim. 

The adult offender was taken to Champaign County jail for aggravated battery, mob action and armed robbery, the statement said. The two offenders under 18 were taken to the Juvenile Detention Center.