Mitch McConnell to step down as Senate minority leader in November

United+States+Senator+and+Senate+Minority+Leader+Mitch+McConnell+of+Kentucky+speaking+at+CPAC+2011+in+Washington%2C+D.C.+on+Feb.+10%2C+2011.+
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
United States Senator and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky speaking at CPAC 2011 in Washington, D.C. on Feb. 10, 2011.

Mitch McConnell announced today he would step down from his seat as Senate minority leader this November. McConnell is currently the longest-serving Senate leader in history.

McConnell announced his decision on the Senate floor, stating he would finish his job until a new leader is elected in November. However, he will still serve the remainder of his senate tenure, slated to end in 2027. 

“As I have been thinking about when I would deliver some news to the Senate, I always imagined a moment when I had total clarity and peace about the sunset of my work,” McConnell said. “That day has arrived today.”

“I’ll finish the job the people of Kentucky hired me to do as well, albeit from a different seat,” he stated. “And I’m actually looking forward to that.”

In his statement, McConnell said he began reconsidering his career plans after his sister-in-law died earlier this month in a car accident. McConnell has not only faced tensions within his party but also sparked public speculation regarding his health. 

During two news conferences last summer, McConnell froze and seemed unable to speak. He was also treated for a concussion and suffered a minor rib fracture after having an accident last March.

According to NPR news, there are three likely candidates to take McConnell’s place as Senate leader: John Thune, John Cornyn and John Barrasso. All three of them have endorsed Donald Trump’s reelection, as opposed to McConnell, who did not.