Illinois State Police launch new road rage campaign

Road Rage. Don’t Engage. titles a new campaign that Illinois State Police are launching. The campaign hopes to provide both an educational and public awareness platform of incidents surrounding road rage in the state of Illinois. 

The Illinois government defines road rage as “driving a vehicle in an aggressive manner that could endanger the safety or property of another driver, motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian.”

A press release distributed on Thursday noted that 80% of drivers exhibit aggressive behavior while driving. 

According to ISP, some tips to deal with road rage include:

• If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move to your right and allow them to pass.
  • When merging, make sure you have plenty of room and use your turn signal. 
  • If someone cuts you off, slow down and give them room to merge into your lane. 
  • If a speeding driver is tailgating you, safely change lanes when able. 
  • Making gestures might anger the other driver; create distance and avoid confrontation. 
  • If another driver is acting angry, don’t make eye contact. 

To promote the campaign, police and other strategic jobholders will boost efforts on social media, including a social media toolkit, and spread billboard and radio advertisements. The press release also notes that “ISP Safety Education Officers across the state will continue to educate the public on the dangers of road rage and how to deal with the dangerous behavior.”

“If you are the victim of road rage or believe a driver is following or harassing you, call 911 and/or go to the nearest police department to report it,” the press release noted. “Don’t lose your temper or your life. Road Rage. Don’t Engage.”