Car strikes bicyclist in Campustown

Loren Mogler, 28 of Champaign, right, is interviewed by Urbana police officers Shannon Wolfe, left center, and Rich Surles at a gas station at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Green Street on Wednesday night. Mogler hit a young male bicyclist, who w Erica Magda

By Daily Illini Staff Report

A 14-year-old boy was struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Green Street, Wednesday night.

According to a police report, the bicyclist, Ryan Murray, was traveling south on Lincoln Avenue and failed to stop at a red light. Loren Mogler of Champaign, the 28-year-old driver of the vehicle, was traveling east on Green Street and had a green light, hitting Murray as he passed through the intersection.

While witnesses gave conflicting accounts of who had the right-of-way, Murray admitted to running the red light and was written a ticket, according to Urbana police.

Pro Ambulance transported Murray, who had minor injuries, to Carle Hospital for treatment, according to a police report. As of 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Murray’s name did not appear on the hospital’s patient registry list.