Note threatens Halloween shooting

By Daily Illini Staff Report

University Police are investigating a threat made in a note found at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday in a men’s restroom in the Undergraduate Library.

The note threatened that on Halloween Night, Oct. 31, the author intends to shoot a person on Green Street.

The author also claimed to have damaged a vehicle window Friday in the parking lot of the Savoy 16 Theatre, 232 Burwash Ave. in Savoy.

“This note does not represent an imminent threat,” said Robin Kaler, University spokeswoman. “Our goal is to balance our efforts and enlist the community’s help to identify who the writer was with the goal of not creating any undue alarm throughout the campus community.”

The Champaign County Sheriff’s office said they received a report at 2 a.m. Saturday morning of a damaged vehicle window and that they are investigating the case.

A team made up of the Champaign Police Department, the Champaign County Sheriff’s Office, the Champaign County State’s Attorney’s Office, the University of Illinois Police Department and the Urbana Police Department is currently investigating the shooting threat and related criminal activity. The Federal Bureau of Investigation also is assisting.

“We encourage people to contact University Police or Crime Stoppers with information of any suspicious activity at the library,” Christensen said.

Christensen encouraged students and faculty to register for breaking emergency reports at emergency.illinois.edu.

Anyone with information can leave anonymous tips on the Crime Stoppers hotline, 217-373-8477, or submit anonymous tips online at www.373tips.com or contact the University police at 217-333-1216 and citizens can leave anonymous tips on the Crime Stoppers hotline, 217-373-8477, or submit anonymous tips online at www.373tips.com.

Keep checking dailyillini.com for further updates.