Campus restaurants optimistic despite closing of Howbowda Bagel

While Howbowda Bagel restaurant will close Nov. 19, other campus restaurant owners remain optimistic.

Michael Campbell, general manger of Fat Sandwich, says things are “so far so good.”

Fat Sandwich is owned by Cole Lewko and Adam Pearlman, recent graduates of Penn State University.

“We’ve been here for a little over a year now and things haven’t really slowed down much,” Campbell said.

Campbell said that although they primarily rely on word of mouth for business, people often come in for daily specials, such as four sandwiches for $20 on Sundays. They also offer a 10% discount to all University staff, Campbell said.

Students also take advantage of their late night hours.

“We’re open 11 am to 3 am seven days a week,” Campbell said.

“People are always going to want to eat and people are always going to get drunk and come in late,” he added.

The failures of Howbowda Bagel are unfortunate, but aren’t a worry to Fat Sandwich, Campbell said.

“We don’t like to see any place going out of business on campus because it shows how bad the economy is,” he added.

Howbowda Bagel, which opened in August of 2008, is owned by University alumni.

“You have to be able to see results day in and day out,” said Dustin Canter, who co-owns the restaurant with Ryan McNeily. “Right now, the results day out are not enough to keep my interest in Howbowda Bagel.”

“There are better ways to make a living in today’s economy,” he added.

The restaurant had a small monopoly on Green Street last year, being the only restaurant open before 10 am, Canter said. Since August of 2008 Dunkin’ Donuts and Panera Bread have both opened on Green Street.

Desiree Bote, freshman in education, said she has never been inside Howbowda bagel.

“Maybe they should’ve advertised more,” she said. “The recession has hit hard.”

Andrea Trevino, grad student, said she was not surprised that Howbowda Bagel will be closing because she had a bad experience eating there.

“They are definitely not my favorite bagel place,” Trevino said. “The bagel felt like it had been frozen and made somewhere else. I think they even got my order wrong.”

Dunkin Donuts next door offers many of the same breakfast foods, but with a better product and cheaper price, she said.

“If you’re going to call yourself Howbowda Bagel, you might as well know how to make a bagel,” Trevino added.

Canter said he does not regret opening the restaurant because it was a successful experience.

“One of the parts of business is knowing when to exit if the marketplace is not correct for growth,” Canter said

There are other businesses currently interested in the location, he said.

“I’m staying out of the restaurant business for the next five years at least,” he said.

Canter said he thanks all of the regular customers of Howbowda Bagel for their business.

Hilary Osborn contributed to this report.