The Daily Illini fails to place in state general excellence award

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Daily Illini failed to place in the general excellence category at the state-wide competition this year.

The Daily Northwestern (Northwestern University) took first among daily newspapers at the Illinois College Press Association banquet Saturday, followed by the Northern Star (Northern Illinois University). There was no third-place winner.

The general excellence award, which The Daily Illini took first place last year, is determined by submitted newspapers that are published on or closest to three randomly selected dates.

For online news site, The Daily Illini placed second, behind The Daily Northwestern.

The Daily Illini received first-place honors in in-depth reporting for its coverage of the Suburban Express lawsuits in April. The series of articles, written by staff writer Corinne Ruff, examined lawsuits the bus company had filed against students for violating its policies.

The Daily Illini also won in three major sportswriting categories:

— Senior writer Sean Hammond won in the sports news story category for his article on Illini Paralympian Tatyana McFadden, who is racing to help Russian adoptees.

Hammond also won in the sports feature story category for his profile of Illini defensive back V’Angelo Bentley.

Former senior writer Ethan Asofsky, who has since graduated, won in the game recap category for his article following Illinois’ upset of then-No. 1 Indiana in February.