Spring 2014 referenda open for voting

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The 2014 spring referendum opened Tuesday, and students can continue to vote until midnight Wednesday. Three referendum questions reaffirming student fees appeared on this semester’s ballot. 

Sustainable Campus Environment fee

The fee, established in 2007, serves to support sustainability projects by financing initiatives such as green buildings, promoting recycling and sustainable farming practices. The fee costs $12.06 per student per semester. 

Cleaner Energy Technologies fee

The $2 per semester per student fee, established in 2003, is used to purchase cleaner energy technologies. It has supported 13 projects and initiatives, including the addition of solar panels in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Building and the Business Instructional Facility. 

Legacy of Service and Learning Scholarship fee

The $12.94 per student per semester fee creates a scholarship fund that is distributed to University students with financial needs. The scholarship can be renewed yearly if the recipient has completed 50 hours of community service. According to a proposed Illinois Student Senate resolution, the amount of recipients who complete the community service renewal requirement has been decreasing. During 2010-11 school year, 32.4 percent renewed, whereas during the 2011-12 school year, 20.1 percent renewed and in 2012-13, 14.4 percent renewed.