University professor investigates brain training interventions to enhance intelligence

Researchers at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois have began a study titled “INSIGHT” to study different brain training methods to enhance human intelligence and reasoning.

The results of the INSIGHT study have the potential to enhance abstract and logical thinking through brain training. Beckman researchers are examining brain training methods in four categories: cognitive, physical fitness, neuroscience and nutritional. 

Almost a year ago, President Barack Obama launched the BRAIN initiative and called on the scientific community to conduct research to further understanding of the human brain. The INSIGHT study aligns with the initiative’s goal to “better understand how we think, learn and remember.”

This study, along with the multitude of other cognitive research studies done at the Beckman Institute, answers Obama’s call to better understand the human mind.

INSIGHT will be one of the largest scientific studies to examine fluid intelligence. About 2,000 people will be organized into four categories to assist with research, according to Beckman Institute’s website. Beckman scientists expect the study to take place over a three-and-a-half year period.

The study is still seeking participants between the ages of 18 and 44 to participate in training programs for 18 weeks to improve reasoning and problem solving skills. The sign up link is on the Beckman Institute’s website, and participants can receive up to $1,020 for participation.

Aron Barbey, professor of speech and hearing science, psychology and neuroscience, heads the INSIGHT study with co-investigators including Neal Cohen, Randall Engle, Wai-Tat Fu, Arthur Kramer and Aptima researcher Alexandra Geyer.

INSIGHT supports the Strengthening Human Adaptive Reasoning and Problem-Solving Program, or SHARP, which is managed by the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity, or IARPA, and project manager Adam Russell.

“If brain training proves effective in improving adaptive reasoning and problem-solving, the INSIGHT project — along with the other SHARP projects — will help to highlight what works about brain training, why it works, if there are individual differences between people that make it more or less effective,” said Russell in an email. “Even if … brain training does not prove effective, the project will have advanced the science to better inform future research in this area,” said Russel about the potential combined impact of SHARP and INSIGHT projects.

IARPA has funded the INSIGHT study with more than $12.7 million over three and a half years, according to Beckman Institute’s website. 

Barbey has extensive experience with human performance research as he has performed multiple studies examining brain injuries in study participants to better understand cognitive function. Additionally, he has studied general intelligence’s relationship to social and emotional intelligence. 

“Our goal is to develop evidence-based tools and methods that improve the quality of human judgment and reasoning in complex, real-world environments,” Barbey said.

In addition to the potential scientific and research related benefits of INSIGHT, the program also has a positive impact for the University, as discussed by INSIGHT project manager Patty Jones.

“This study is a very cool example of the interdisciplinary collaboration work Illinois can do,” Jones said.  

Speech and Hearing Sciences Department Head Karen Kirk spoke about the positive impact of Barbey’s research on the department and the University.

“It’s a wonderful recognition for what goes on among our faculty — we’re very proud…” Kirk said. “It also provides an opportunity for our students to have our graduate students or from the campus as a whole get involved with cutting edge research.”

Barbey also said he thinks the study will positively affect the University.

“It’s great for Illinois,” Barbey said. “It once again shows high-quality interdisciplinary collaborative research.”

Alex can be reached at [email protected].

A previous version of the article incorrectly stated that Aron Barbey is a professor of speech and hearing sciences and that the INSIGHT study funds would be distributed over several months. Barbey is a professor of speech and hearing science, psychology and neuroscience, and the funds would be distributed over three and a half years. The Daily Illini regrets these errors.