Gas leak reported near First Street

By Daily Illini Staff Report

A gas main was struck near the corner of First Street and Gerty Drive on Monday afternoon. The gas leak has since been stopped, and the gas main has been shut down at this time.

Ameren and the Champaign Fire Department are on scene working to control the leak, according to a press release from the Champaign Fire Department.

Fire personnel swept surrounding buildings with detection equipment and found no readings. All occupants have been deemed safe and there is no danger to neighboring buildings.

Because of the gas leak between Hazelwood and Gerty on First Street, several Champaign-Urbana MTD buses have been rerouted:

• 1S Yellowhopper: First to Hazelwood to Oak to Gerty to regular route.
  • Air Bus: First to St. Mary’s to Oak to Hazelwood to Fourth to Windsor to regular route
  • 27N Air Bus: Windsor to Fourth to Hazelwood to Oak to St. Mary’s to First to regular route
  • 100S Yellow: St. Mary’s to Oak to Hazelwood to Fourth to Windsor to regular route
  • 100N Yellow: Windsor to Fourth to Hazelwood to Oak to St. Mary’s to regular route

The Champaign Fire Department will remain on the scene for approximately another hour, and traffic should return to normal at that time.