CSEC members withdraw from commission

By Megan Jones

The full membership of the Campus Student Election Commission withdrew its position to run student elections Tuesday at 5 p.m. via email. The commission is responsible for approving referendum questions, along with organizing candidates for student senate, student trustee and the Student Organization Resource Fee Board.

“Rather than further discuss the issues of jurisdiction and procedure, we believe that it is in the best interests of all parties involved to step aside so that ISS, SORF and the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs can collaborate to reconstitute a body that serves their purposes,” a statement from the commission said. 

Three complaints were submitted by ISS members, and a hearing was scheduled for Wednesday at 7 p.m. to vote on removing the commission. Complaints consisted of misrepresenting the senate’s constitution, insufficiently working with the SORF Board and failing to submit a budget as well as failing to hear a formal complaint on Student Trustee Lucas Frye’s campaign spending.

The commission receives funds from students, and reported to spend $500 on an advertisement within The Daily Illini. According to The Daily Illini records, the commission last bought advertisements in 2012. Matt Misichko, chairman of the CSEC, confirmed this. 

Megan can be reached at [email protected] and @MeganAsh_Jones.