Two robberies reported in campus area Saturday

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Champaign Police Department are investigating two incidents of robbery that took place in the campus area Saturday, according to a University Crime Alert.

The first incident took place at around 10:54 p.m. in the 600 block of East Chalmers Street. According to the Alert, the victim was walking on the sidewalk when she was approached by two males who demanded her cell phone and bag. The offenders fled eastbound from the scene.

The second incident occurred at about 11 p.m. in the 600 block of Sixth Street. The victim reported that he was walking when he was approached by two males who demanded his property. During the incident, one of the offenders punched the victim in the face. The offenders fled in different directions from the scene.

According to descriptions given by the first victim, one of the offenders is described as a 20 to 25-year-old black male with no facial hair, wearing a gray hooded sweat shirt, red basketball shorts and a red shirt. The other offender was described as a male, approximately 18 to 20 years old, wearing a white shirt.

Those with information regarding the robberies are encouraged to contact the Champaign Police Department at 351-4545, or Crime Stoppers at 373-TIPS (8477).