BOT officially elects Killeen as next University president

The Board of Trustees officially elected Timothy Killeen as the University’s 20th president Thursday.

Killeen, who was introduced in November, will succeed current President Robert Easter when he retires at the end of June.

The Wales native and U.S. citizen has had over 30 years experience in higher education, serving roles in administration and as a researcher in geophysics and space sciences at the University of Michigan, according to a press release from the Board of Trustees. Killeen earned his Ph.D. from University College London when he was 23-years-old and has received three achievement awards from NASA.

At a press conference in November, Killeen stated that one of his main objectives for the University is to keep moving forward and continuing to improve. In doing so, Killeen said he is going to keep Easter involved as much as possible.

“This is an incredibly momentous time for me and my family,” Killeen said about his election. “We’re thrilled and honored to be given this opportunity.”

Killeen was excited to use the word “we” when referring to the University and went on to list what he and the University will be able to do, including succeed and grow.

As president, Killeen has also said he hopes to encourage more collaboration and is open to input from students and faculty.

Abigale can be reached at [email protected]