UI to add new sustainability minor

By Yi Zhang

This minor is different than already existing environmental minors, as it provides a much broader sense of economic and social aspects, said Madhu Khanna, associate director for education and outreach for the institute.ch

The minor will require students to enroll in 16 to 18 credit hours of the 22 classes available in the minor. Students will also have the opportunity to get internships through the program in their junior year and will work with businesses and nonprofit organizations.

Khanna said the program will give students necessary technological training. Additionally the opportunity to analyze real-world sustainability problems, will help students learn more about how other businesses work.

Khanna said the minor was approved by the Academic Senate, and it is supposed to gain final approval in November. Following approval, students will be able to enroll in the program in spring 2016.

In recent years, an increased number of students have decided to double or triple major, leading to a decrease in the creation of new minors, said Kathryn Martensen, assistant provost for educational programs.

Martensen said no minors are being dropped this year and minors are often used to test whether students are interested in the topic before the University decides to create a major for that area of study.

The College of ACES is one of the six units offering classes included in the new minor.

Laurie Kramer, associate dean for academic programs of ACES, said minors are good services to students who have strong interests in areas other than their majors. Minors can expand students’ knowledge to be better prepared for careers, and they require less time to complete.

“Minors are growing, ACES comes up with new minors in leadership study, adult development and food and environmental systems these years,” Kramer said. “Almost every year we updated the curriculum and find the best option for students, and without dropping minors from the colleges yet.”