Clinton, Trump win Illinois primary

The Associated Press reported Tuesday night that Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate Donald Trump won the Illinois primary. 

Trump was announced as the winner with 40 percent of the vote just before 9 p.m., beating out Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, at 27.8 percent, and Ohio Governor John Kasich, at 20.7 percent. 

Clinton was announced by The AP at 11:30 p.m., with 50.5 percent of the vote, beating out Vermont senator Bernie Sanders, at 48.7 percent. 

Also, in Illinois Democrat Tammy Duckworth and Republican Mark Kirk unsurprisingly took the Senate seats. Rodney Davis won the Republican primary for District 13 and Mark Wicklund won the Democratic primary for District 13, for which he ran uncontested. 

Champaign County contributed a large polling factor for the primary where it voted for Cruz at 35.8 percent and Sanders at 65.9 percent. 

The Illinois primary results come amidst results from other powerful states like Florida, where Trump and Clinton won, and Ohio, where Kasich and Clinton won. U.S. Senator Marco Rubio dropped out of the presidential race following his loss to Trump in his home state of Florida.