University reacts to Trump’s “fake news” tweets

Ryan Fang the daily illini
Students enter Armory 101 for the Journalism 200 class on Monday. Some students and teachers view Trump’s “fake news” rhetoric to be problematic to the legitimacy of the media and stifling to the freedom of the press.

Ryan Fang the daily illini Students enter Armory 101 for the Journalism 200 class on Monday. Some students and teachers view Trump’s “fake news” rhetoric to be problematic to the legitimacy of the media and stifling to the freedom of the press.

Ryan Fang

Ryan Fang

By Andrea Flores, Staff Reporter

Nicole Mormando

Since Inauguration Day, U.S. President Donald Trump has tweeted about the news media almost 30 times.

“Fake news” has become a common phrase, especially when referring to outlets like CNN and The New York Times.

Scott Althaus, political science professor and director for the Cline Center for Democracy, believes that the term “fake news” is confusing for the public since “fake news” refers to both made-up facts and facts that Trump finds are not in alignment with his policy.

While Trump calls some facts false, Althaus said they are still valid facts that even the White House can’t deny.

Benjamin Holden, associate professor in Media, said when Trump calls the press fake, it undermines the free press as an institution.

“It lowers the bar and desensitizes students to how absolutely reprehensible fake news is,” Holden said.

While Holden isn’t sure how his journalism students feel about Trump’s tweets about the press, he believes that if he were a student today, he might consider changing his major.

“If I was a student, and I had expert teachers, I’d go and ask them about what Trump is talking about,” Holden said. “If I didn’t have mentors at high levels in the news business, I might be really confused and quite frankly I wouldn’t want to be a journalist.”

Max Weiss, freshman in LAS, sees Trump calling certain news outlets “fake news” as problematic.

Even though Weiss changed his major from journalism to political science, Trump’s rhetoric is making him consider switching his major back to journalism.

“(Trump’s rhetoric) would encourage me to dig deeper into stories, dig deeper and try to actually hold people accountable,” Weiss said.

“It’s definitely concerning because some of the news outlets he’s calling fake news, like The New York Times and The Washington Post, are some of the most venerable news outlets that have existed,” Weiss said.

Althaus noted that a president critiquing the press is not new, but Trump’s attack on the news media is different.

“What is new with President Trump is really calling into question the fundamental motivation, not of just of individual journalists, but of entire news organizations,” he said.

Holden noted that the press is respected in the First Amendment of the Constitution, as well as by judges and past presidents.

Weiss agrees with Holden in that Trump is discrediting the media, even though most journalists are just doing their job.

“(Trump) isn’t acknowledging with what the media stands for,” Weiss said. “I think that’s what journalists actually do, hold people accountable.”

Holden believes that Trump is making journalism seem like a “sleazy profession.”

Holden recalls that journalists who published “fake news” were regarded poorly and he sees negative consequences that could follow Trump’s “fake news” rhetoric.

“We have a president, whether you agree with his policies or not, that seems to be hellbent on doing damage to the constitution,” Holden said.

11 Comments

• yourbud217

I hope “professor” Benjamin Holden is not paid more than one frozen onion a decade for his “teaching”, because he is hardly worth more than that. In fact he himself is lying his heart out in this very article, and likely this is what he is doing to defenseless students, all the time, every day, until they graduate more ignorant than when they started. For example, he attempts to conflate the freedom of the press with the pernicious idea that media caught lying should not be called on it. Insinuating that crooks of Holden’s type being called on their con games and sleaze (remember the Moscow “golden shower” – SHAME on you, sleazy media!) would be “doing damage to the constitution” is fraud of the highest daring. These are brazen highway robbers protesting the “injustice” of being caught red-handed.

Calling NYT venerable is completely idiotic. They are worse than a tabloid. They are criminals who belong in jail. They are dedicated to the interests of the Mexican Mafioso Carlos Slim, who owns them – hence the more recent nickname New York Slimes. Why are our media so regularly and so profoundly debasing and beclowning themselves, lying to the public and sullying our national discourse—sometimes on a daily basis? How has it come to this point, illustrated daily by Daily Illini as well? Unfortunately, the fruits of “educators” such as Holden (Pravda would be ashamed to hire him) are being noticed in the brainwashed kids who parrot what he “teaches” him.

There are THOUSANDS of examples of deliberate lies put out by NY Times, Washington [Com]Post, CNN (Clinton News Network), and the rest of the propaganda latrines. Three examples follow. Only three, trivial ones. There is a plethora of them, many more serious than this, requiring way more time than I am willing to spend. The founding fathers would have had these crooks, criminals, and professional liars (what today passes for “the media”) tried and punished.

1) On January 20, Time reporter Zeke Miller wrote that a bust of Martin Luther King Jr. had been removed from the White House. This caused a flurry of controversy on social media. As Time put it, Miller had apparently not even asked anyone in the White House if the bust had been removed. He simply assumed it had been because “he had looked for it and had not seen it.” The crook didn’t ask.

2) Leading up to Trump announcing his first Supreme Court nomination, CNN Senior White House Correspondent Jeff Zeleny announced that the White House was “setting up [the] Supreme Court announcement as a prime-time contest.” He pointed to a pair of recently created “identical Twitter pages” for a theoretical justices Neil Gorsuch and Thomas Hardiman, the two likeliest nominees for the court vacancy. Zeleny’s sneering tweet—clearly meant to cast the Trump administration in an unflattering, circus-like light—was shared more than 1,100 times on Twitter. About 30 minutes later, however, he tweeted: “The Twitter accounts…were not set up by the White House, I’ve been told.” As always, the admission of mistake was shared far less than the original fake news: Zeleny’s correction was retweeted a paltry 159 times.

3) On the day of Trump’s inauguration, CNN claimed Nancy Sinatra was “not happy” with the fact that the president and first lady’s inaugural dance would be to the tune of Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.” The problem? Nancy Sinatra had never said that. CNN never apologized for this one lie among myriads of other lies that’ve perpetrated.

• yourbud217

Calling NYT venerable is completely idiotic. They are worse than a tabloid. They are criminals who belong in jail. They are dedicated to the interests of the Mexican Mafioso Carlos Slim, who owns them – hence the more recent nickname New York Slimes. Why are our media so regularly and so profoundly debasing and beclowning themselves, lying to the public and sullying our national discourse—sometimes on a daily basis? How has it come to this point, illustrated daily by Daily Illini as well? Unfortunately, the fruits of “educators” such as Holden (Pravda would be ashamed to hire him) are being noticed in the brainwashed kids who parrot what he “teaches” them.

3) On the day of Trump’s inauguration, CNN claimed Nancy Sinatra was “not happy” with the fact that the president and first lady’s inaugural dance would be to the tune of Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.” The problem? Nancy Sinatra had never said that. CNN never apologized for this one lie among myriads of other, bigger lies they’ve perpetrated.

• yourbud217

3) On the day of Trump’s inauguration, CNN claimed Nancy Sinatra was “not happy” with the fact that the president and first lady’s inaugural dance would be to the tune of Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.” The problem? Nancy Sinatra had never said that. CNN never apologized for this one lie among myriads of other lies they’ve perpetrated.

• yourbud217

• MEGATRUCK

Maybe you could start the revolution by cutting off your traffic to this site

• yourbud217

• yourbud217

• yourbud217

Calling NYT venerable is completely idiotic. They are worse than a tabloid. They are criminals who belong in jail. They are dedicated to the interests of the Mexican Mafioso Carlos Slim, who owns them – hence the more recent nickname New York Slimes. Why are our media so regularly and so profoundly debasing and beclowning themselves, lying to the public and sullying our national discourse—sometimes on a daily basis? How has it come to this point, illustrated daily by Daily Illini as well? Unfortunately, the fruits of “educators” such as Holden (Pravda would be ashamed to hire him) are being noticed in the brainwashed kids who parrot what he “teaches” them .

• yourbud217

• yourbud217

• yourbud217

There are THOUSANDS of examples of deliberate lies put out by NY Times, Washington [Com]Post, CNN (Clinton News Network), and the rest of the propaganda latrines. The founding fathers would have had these crooks, criminals, and professional liars (what today passes for “the media”) tried and punished.