Gas leak caused by construction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gas leak caused by construction

By Daily Illini Staff Report

An Illini-Alert was sent out this morning around 9:40 a.m. related to a gas leak near the intersection of Fourth and Daniel Streets.

Deputy fire marshal Randy Smith said the leak was reported at 9:15 a.m.

A following Illini-Alert was sent out at 1:11 p.m. saying the “emergency has ended.”

Smith said that “related construction” in the area caused the leak. Ongoing construction is taking place at the former location of the Illini Inn.

“Ameren is on the scene working toward getting the gas shut off so we can get the leak repaired.” Smith said. “It’s the service feed for 903 S. Fourth they’re working on both ends to get the gas shut off.”

The emergency ended around 1:15 p.m., according to an Illini-Alert.

[email protected]