University will offer guaranteed admission to City Colleges of Chicago students

President Timothy L. Killeen takes notes during the board of trustees meeting at the Illini Union on March 12, 2015. Killeen announced recently that he is confident the University will return to face-to-face instruction in the fall.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

University President Tim Killeen announced Thursday that guaranteed admission with City Colleges of Chicago has been expanded to include all three University of Illinois campuses. 

Students who enroll at City Colleges of Chicago will be guaranteed admission anywhere in the University system as long as they meet their selected university’s admission requirements and complete required community college credits.

Top transfers will be eligible for scholarships through a pilot program.

This initiative will expand educational opportunities for Chicago-area students, according to the news release. The University and City Colleges of Chicago serve more than 80,000 students annually.  

“(There will be) benefits for more students; (they will be able to) lock in enrollment and live at home and pay lower costs for two years before attending (one of our universities),” said Jan Dennis, assistant director of University Relations. 

Transfers to the University of Illinois at Chicago will be eligible for additional awards through an existing program, STAR Scholarship, which provides free tuition to Chicago Public School graduates with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.