University commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. with community events

Ben Tschetter

Keynote speaker Sally K. Carter, CEO of Tap In Leadership Academy and board member of Champaign County Parks Foundation , speaks at the Champaign County celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at The Vineyard Church in Urbana on Friday.

By Yasmeen Ragab, Staff Writer

With this year marking the 50th anniversary of the death of  Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., the University plans to commemorate the legacy of the civil rights leader with events across campus and the Champaign-Urbana area.

“The University has been involved in observances in honor of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for more than 30 years,” said Tracy Kleparski, senior diversity outreach specialist for the Office of the Chancellor, in an email.

The theme this year is “Dream, Believe, Do,” Kleparski said. Her committee wanted to convey the necessity of dreaming big and believing that your dreams are possible with action.

The commemoration began Friday with the annual countywide celebration at The Vineyard Church in Urbana. According to the event website, this event honors the leadership of local youth who are serving the Champaign-Urbana communities.

On Sunday, the 33rd Annual Service of Celebration at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts recognized the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Advocacy for Justice Committee. The committee has awarded over 200 scholarships to local students attending colleges such as Parkland College, the University of Illinois and historically black colleges and universities.

“Education was one of Dr. King’s key messages to youth,” Kleparski said. “We hope that these events serve to encourage our current students and create excitement for the youth in our community to become a part of the University of Illinois in the future.”

Monday was the annual unity breakfast and community day of service. The day of service featured keynote speaker Eboni Zamani-Gallaher, professor of education policy, organization and leadership, and the director of the Office of Community College Research and Leadership at the University.

“Growing up, I recall there being a push to create a federal holiday and my mother believed not in Black History Month, but everyday blackness,” Zamani-Gallaher said. “She was one of my first stewards in helping me understand the importance of education … but also making sure I understood that we stand on the shoulders of those who came before us.”

During her speech, Zamani-Gallaher said she hopes to reinvigorate people, especially youth, in the core beliefs of hope and humanity.

The commemoration will continue Thursday at Krannert Uncorked, a night of music and performances by the U of I Hip-Hop Collective, led by music professor Rudolf Haken and the Black Chorus, fronted  by Ollie Watts-Davis.

On Friday, the School of Social Work will hold a poverty simulation to help local community members and students better understand the hurdles and roadblocks faced by those living in poverty.

“Of all Dr. King’s messages, one of his most prominent is on how to tackle the issue of poverty,” said Laura Graven, undergraduate affairs coordinator for the School of Social Work.

A community celebration will be held at the Krannert Center on Saturday to mark the culmination of the week’s events celebrating King’s legacy.

“One thing I love about having a federal holiday designated in commemoration of MLK is whether it’s local, statewide or across the country, it is our opportunity to be our best selves,” Zamani-Gallaher said. “To turn out to do good, to be of service and to understand that all of our realities and futures are linked inexplicably to one another.”

All of the events are free of charge and open to students, staff, faculty and the public, Kleparski said.