Massmail addresses first week of GEO strike

Ethan Scholl

GEO members protesting on the Main Quad during the first day of their strike on Monday.

By Andrea Flores, Assistant Daytime News Editor

On Friday afternoon, the University addressed the Graduate Employees’ Organization’s strike that has taken place on campus since Monday in the first Massmail since the strike began.

Andreas C. Cangellaris, vice chancellor for academic affairs and provost, said in a Massmail the University’s top priority is protecting students’ academic experience.

“We will continue the bargaining process, and we hope we will reach an agreement that ends the strike as quickly as possible,” Cangellaris said. “We are taking the necessary steps to minimize the disruption of instruction, to ensure your course objectives are met and to ensure timely grading.”

Cangellaris acknowledged many class across different departments on campus have been canceled or relocated.

“If there are interruptions, the department offering the affected course must implement make-up arrangements to ensure that the instructional objectives of your classes are delivered and that you are kept informed,” Cangellaris said.

The Massmail did not contain specific details of current negotiations between administration and the GEO. The most recent negotiation was last week, where both the GEO and University presented packages of their demands.

Cangellaris said students should plan on attending class if the strike does continue next week, as picketers cannot block entrances.