UIPD releases statement on threats and violence surrounding ‘Punish a Muslim Day’

The University Police Department sent out a press release today reminding the community that it must remain a source of safety for everyone.

“In the past couple of days, the ‘Punish a Muslim Day’ has drawn a lot of attention from our community,” said Ahsan Ali, president of the Muslim Students Association.

Ali said he was happy to see a press release published and appreciates that the UIPD and the University have increased awareness about possible threats.

The press release said some students are concerned for their safety and the UIPD takes these concerns very seriously; however, at this time, it has not received any reports of threats or violence. It is aware that they still may exist but does not have any direct information that indicates any immediate threats.

“I know there was a lot of worry and fear of potentially getting hurt or potential action being taken against (MSA members),” Ali said.

Ali said some students have decided to stay home from classes today in order to stay safe.

“There’s been increased police presence and availability for reporting incidences, which has been extremely helpful,” Ali said.    

Students are encouraged to call 911 or the UIPD if they experience or witness any threats or violence.