Musician shares experience of exploring social issues through music in Allen Hall

Mark Capapas

LaFrae Sci, drummer and professor of Jazz at the Lincoln Center, holds a discussion about creativity and social justice at Allen Hall on January 29.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

Cultural ambassador and internationally acclaimed musician, LaFrae Sci, is visiting the University to host a series of events at Allen Hall discussing numerous topics, ranging from music to social justice.

Sci will hold 11 events at the University as part of Allen Hall’s Guest-in-Residence program, starting Jan. 27 throughout the first week of February.

The Guest-in-Residence program invites writers, scholars, performers, inventors, activists and artists to hold events and workshops for students while living alongside with them in Allen Hall.

“LaFrae Sci will share stories, rhythms and soundscapes from her work in 35 countries using music as a multidisciplinary vehicle to inspire and empower,” said Laura Haber, academic and program director for Unit One and Allen Hall, in an email.

The discussion group speaks about social justice and creativity with LaFrae Sci at Allen Hall on January 29.

As a founding member of an international youth engagement non-governmental organization, Groove Diplomacy, Sci works to help young people heal themselves and more deeply understand others through musical expression.

“Although she is a professional musician, she is also adept at working with people who have no background in music,” Haber said. “Her specialty is using creative expression to explore issues pertaining to social justice, leadership, mindfulness and finding one’s own voice.”

Sci’s parents met while studying at the University and her great aunt was one of the first black educators in the Champaign-Urbana area. With these family connections, Haber said Sci’s events will be of interest to people with a wide variety of interests and experiences.

“LaFrae Sci combines incredible talent and breadth of experience with a commitment to education and engagement,” Haber said.