Former University students are plaintiffs in lawsuit against former professor

Photo courtesy of Weibo

Portrait of Gary Xu.

By Jose Zepeda, Assistant Daytime News Editor

Two former University students have accused former University professor Gary Xu of sexual, physical and emotional abuse.

According to reporting by ProPublica Illinois, former student Xingjian Sun was named a plaintiff. She had a two-year relationship with Xu. They first met in spring 2013 when Sun was a 19-year-old freshman. Xu eventually became Sun’s instructor for an independent study course, where their relationship became intimate.

The relationship described in the lawsuit shows that Xu allegedly raped and beat Sun, as well as isolated her from friends and kept the relationship a secret.

In an interview with CBS This Morning, Sun describes in detail a moment she alleges Xu tried to run her over with his car. She was surprised someone was willing to do that in public.

Xu allegedly abused Sun for two years, intimidating her with the fact that she was an international student.

Sun went to the University to complain about Xu three times, though she withdrew her complaints after being intimidated by Xu.

Sun has since been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder but is trying to move forward.

Check back with The Daily Illini for more updates on the lawsuit and allegations.