Gas leak reported at English Building

A+University+police+car+is+parked+in+front+of+the+English+Building+on+Monday.+A+gas+leak+was+reported+at+the+building+around+11%3A30+a.m.+Monday.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Gas leak reported at English Building

A University police car is parked in front of the English Building on Monday. A gas leak was reported at the building around 11:30 a.m. Monday.

Lucas Oswald

Lucas Oswald

Lucas Oswald

An Illini-Alert was sent out to students at 11:28 a.m. reporting a gas leak at the English Building at the corner of Wright and Daniel streets.

The Illini-Alert urges everyone to avoid the area until more information is available.

Another Illini-Alert was sent at 11:56 a.m. saying no one should cross Wright Street at Daniel or Chalmers streets while crews are addressing the gas leak.

However, pedestrians are able to cross Wright Street at Green Street, John Street or Armory Avenue, according to the Illini-Alert.

A Champaign Fire Department firetruck leaves the scene on Wright Street around 12:15 p.m. The English Building and Henry Administration Building, both located on Wright Street, were evacuated due to a reported gas leak.

12:30 p.m. 

Students continue walking on the sidewalk of Wright Street. However, the sidewalk near the English Building is blocked off. Both the English Building and Henry Administration Building were evacuated due to the gas leak and classes held in the buildings were canceled.

12:40 p.m. 

An Illini-Alert sent at 12:39 p.m. stated the gas leak has ended, and “it is safe to resume regular activities at Wright Street and Daniel Street.”

Editor’s note: This is developing story. Check back with The Daily Illini for more updates.