News-Gazette halts Monday publication

Mark Capapas

The News-Gazette building is pictured in downtown Champaign on Friday. On Sunday, the News-Gazette announced it will no longer be publishing a Monday paper.

By Pari Apostolakos, Managing Editor for Reporting

On Sunday, The News-Gazette announced it will no longer be printing a Monday edition starting this week. 

“While we won’t have a Monday print edition, we will have all of Sunday’s news online, just as we do today,” said Jim Rossow, vice president of news, in an article published by The News-Gazette.

Paul Barrett, executive vice president and publisher of Champaign Multimedia Group, said to The News-Gazette elimination of the Monday edition will help reduce costs. 

“We appreciate the incredible support of our readers as we move forward,” he said. 

Delivery methods of The News-Gazette in rural areas will also be changing. Rural subscribers will now be receiving a Sunday package on Saturday and will not receive a Sunday edition at all. These subscribers will receive a summary of weekend news in the mail on Mondays.

Champaign-Urbana residents who subscribe to The News-Gazette will receive their papers as they have in the past, with the exception of the now-nonexistent Monday edition.