Crime Stoppers receives financial support from community

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

The Champaign County Crime Stoppers will receive up to $30,000 in support of the Illegal Gun Bounty Reward Program.

The City of Champaign and the Champaign County Community Coalition are both contributing to the program, which pays cash rewards for anonymous tips that lead to arrests of those using guns “during the commission of a felony,” according to a City of Champaign press release.

The Illegal Gun Bounty Reward Program launched at the beginning of this year and has since paid out $12,000 in rewards, the press release stated. The tips also resulted in 13 arrests and the recovery of 23 firearms.

“Our organization is proud to play a role in helping to address the community’s gun crime problem.  Crime Stoppers is grateful to the Champaign County Community Coalition and the City of Champaign for supporting our efforts to fight crime in Champaign County,” said John Hecker, president of Champaign County Crime Stoppers in the press release.

Tracy Parsons, facilitator of the Champaign County Community Coalition, also said the coalition is pleased to see other community members partnering with them.

“We refuse to normalize gun violence,” he said according to the press release. “The Champaign County Community Coalition continues to actively engage in several different programs and initiatives with community members to combat gun violence.  We’re encouraged to see the impact that Crime Stoppers is having in this area and are happy to partner with them so this successful program can continue.”

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article stated that Crime Stoppers will receive $300,000 in support; however, it is actually receiving $30,000. The Daily Illini regrets this error.