Joe’s announces closure after University ramps up COVID-19 discipline

Kenyon Edmond

Students enter Joe’s Brewery during Unoffical on March 1, 2019.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

Popular campus bar Joe’s Brewery, located on Fifth Street, closed at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

The bar announced its closure on Instagram just hours after Chancellor Robert Jones sent out a Massmail to students, staff and faculty on Wednesday informing them of more rigorous efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Students who do not follow any instructions given by Champaign-Urbana Public Health District will face immediate suspension, and a $750 fine could also be issued per day for any COVID-19 related violations.

“In the coming days we will continually evaluate how we can play a positive role in the lives of University students and achieve everyone’s goal of completing a full face to face semester,” the bar’s Instagram post read.

The post received over 500 likes and 30 comments in the first hour it was posted, and now sits at over 1,500 likes.

Most comments seemed to praise Joe’s for this decision, even though some commenters were sad to see the bar close.

Other campus bars, such as The Red Lion, KAM’s, Murphy’s and Legends, are remaining open under the restrictions of the emergency order the city of Champaign ordered before students returned to campus, which was recently extended.

At bars and restaurants in the Campustown area, indoor service is prohibited, masks are required and social distancing must be maintained. Several bars are requiring patrons to show their Safer Illinois app before entry.