Urbana announces emergency ban on indoor consumption of food, drink

Cameron Krasucki

Student Jessica Wynveen deposits her completed COVID-19 test into a receptacle at the State Farm Center on Oct. 9. The city of Urbana has suspended all indoor food and beverage consumption per an emergency order.

By Vivian La, Staff Writer

The city of Urbana suspended all indoor food and beverage consumption, including alcohol, within a business establishment located within corporate limits on Nov. 30, per Emergency Order 20-11.

The ban does not prohibit the sale of food or beverages — including alcohol — for carry-out orders, delivery orders or consumption in safe outdoor dining areas. 

A press release from the City of Urbana stated that the resurgence in cases within the county combined with the state’s Tier 3 mitigation measures prompted the emergency order.

Urbana Mayor, Diane Wolfe Marlin said that the city’s hope is that these mitigation measures will end sooner rather than later.

“We are grateful for the courage and integrity being shown by our local business owners, and we welcome them to continue reaching out to us with honesty about their challenges and concerns,” Marlin said.

Per Tier 3 mitigations announced by Gov. J.B. Pritzker on Nov. 20, bars and restaurants cannot allow indoor dining or seating and must have adequate social distancing for outdoor dining.

Illinois bars and restaurants also have to close by 11 p.m. and open no earlier than 6 a.m. Congregating both indoors and outdoors is discouraged within restaurant and bar entrances and exits.

On Dec. 2, 151 new cases were reported in Champaign County, bringing the county’s total positive cases to 11,104.

In Champaign County, 25 residents are currently hospitalized, up from 23 residents on Nov. 30.