ISG passes resolution in support of GEO, swears in new chief justice

Angela Kerndl

A student speaks during the ISG meeting on Jan. 31.

By Cori Lippert, staff writer

The Illinois Student Government passed a resolution supporting the Graduate Employees’ Organization and created a mental health awareness day at Wednesday’s meeting.

The resolution shows support for the GEO in its negotiations with administration on members’ salaries and benefits.

Zoe MacDowell Kaswan, graduate student in neuroscience, said without the competitive financial packet, this University would not have the top graduate students they do and that graduate students will choose other top universities.

Part of the resolution asks Andreas Cangellaris, vice chancellor of academic affairs and provost, to attend the negotiation meetings since he will be signing off on the final deal.

Gus Wood, Ph.D. student in LAS and co-president of GEO, said during public comment, “We need your support to win this. All of us can do this together.”

ISG passed another resolution approving a mental health awareness day set for March 13.

There were also staff changes that occurred at the meeting.

Ali Mirza, freshman in LAS, was named ISG membership development coordinator. 

Joey Domanski, senior in LAS and student body vice president, said he is impressed by Mirza’s dedication and outstanding work ethic.

New Chief Justice Fernando Arias, sophomore in LAS, was sworn in during the meeting to fill in for the rest of the term for the former chief justice.